Indian Coffee House, The Mall, Middle Bazar, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India.
The India Coffee House chain was started by the Coffee Cess Committee in 1936, when the first outlet was opened in Bombay (now Mumbai). In the course of the 1940s there were nearly 50 Coffee Houses all over British India. Due to a change in the policy in the mid 1950s, the Board decided to close down the Coffee Houses. The workers of the Coffee Board began a movement and compelled the Coffee Board to agree to handover the outlets to the workers who then formed Indian Coffee Workers' Co-operatives and renamed the network as Indian Coffee House. A co-operative began in Bangalore on 19 August 1957.